Mr and Mrs Moram to be :-)

Mr and Mrs Moram to be :-)
Mr and Mrs Moram to be :-)

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Veil or no veil – that is the question…

Lately I have been thinking about whether to wear a veil or not on the big day.  I can’t give too much away about my dress on here but personally don’t think I need one as the dress is beautiful on its own.

These thoughts led me to do a bit of research on the tradition of the veil, and I have to admit I don’t like what I found out!

According to tradition, the veil symbolised a wife’s submission to her husband and signified that she was under protection of the groom.  The lifting of the veil at the end of the ceremony symbolised male dominance.

Now I’m not exactly an active feminist, but surely these old traditions are implying that the husband ‘owns’ the wife and I find that quite distasteful.

On the other hand, veils are beautiful and I’m sure many brides to be are choosing to wear one because it’s pretty.

I’m torn at the moment, and I guess until I try one on with my dress, I won’t quite know.  Perhaps some fresh flowers in my hair will work just as well as an old net curtain?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment